Paint: giant wood tags
A fun alternative to the standard wreath, wood tags handpainted with Merry Christmas for your front door:
Inspired by the Ballard Designs holiday wood tags:
image from ballarddesigns.com
Last week I posted my Thanksgiving version:
And my friend Terry so cleverly thought of this Christmas version:
This time around I used a 1×8 pine board, it has a nice grain to it (better than plywood) and a chunky feel at 3/4″ thick.
A special thanks to Terry for letting me borrow her shed to take pictures!
Here’s how I made the giant wood tags:
1. Using a 1×8 board cut 2 pieces at 18″.
Then mark off the corner cuts and drill a 1″ hole:
2. Print lettering (I used Ecolier font at 600 point).
Place print out on top of wood and trace letters with ballpoint pen:
3. The pen leaves an indent in the soft pine:
4. Paint on and inside the indent:
5. Seal with Minwax Helmsman exterior grade clear semi-gloss:
6. To keep ‘hanging position’ so tags don’t cross over each other predrill, glue and countersink two 1 1/4″ wood screws at overlap:
7. String 3/8″ manila rope through holes.
Then secure ropes together with clear monofilament which you can also use to hang tags.
I’m linking up to:
Christmas Crafts @ Shanty 2 Chic
Christmas Craft Party @ Nesting Place
SAS @ Funky Junk
Nifty Thrifty Sunday @ Nifty Thrifty Things
DIY Fall Festival @ The DIY Showoff
Tutorials & Tips Tuesday @ Home Stories A to Z
Strut Your Stuff @ Somewhat Simple
Share Awesomeness Thur @ The 36th Avenue
Pretty Things Thursday @ Scissors & Spatulas
Flaunt it Friday @ Chic on a Shoestring
Frugal Friday @ The Shabby Nest
SAS @ Just a Girl
Remodelaholics Anonymous @ Remodelaholic