Make a decorative lumbar pillow from drop cloth canvas, a printed monogram and an Ikea pillow form.
The monogram is actually navy corduroy ironed in place with double sided fusible heat-n-bond and then sewn with a tight zig zag stitch.
A gift for our neighbors who just moved back into their newly renovated home:
Here’s how to make the monogrammed lumbar pillow:
1. Purchase one Ikea Fjadrar lumbar pillow insert $7.
This insert measures 16″ x 24″, if you are using something similar double check the measurements.
2. Print out monogram letters to fit.
I used monogram kk font at 600 & 800 point:
3. Prepare fabric by ironing double sided fusible interfacing (heat-n-bond) to wrong side of fabric:
4. Place print out right side down on top of paper backing of interfacing and trace outline of letter with ballpoint pen, the pressure of the pen will indent the paper backing of the interfacing:
5. Cut out letter carefully leaving paper backing attached:
6. Cut drop cloth fabric pieces:
1 @ 20″ x 28″ (front)
2 @ 20″ x 20″ (backs)
This assumes 1/2″ seam allowances and envelope style closure.
6. Center middle letter on front drop cloth fabric piece and iron in place:
7. Sew with tight zig zag stitch around entire letter.
8. Repeat process with side letters first ironing in place then zig zag stitch:
9. To add envelope back first finish raw edges.
Place front piece right side up then overlap back pieces right sides down:
10. Pin and sew around all four edges with 1/2″ seam allowance.
11. Turn right side out through envelope opening, press and pin around edges.
Mark 1 1/4″ from outer edge with soluble pencil to create flange:
12. Sew on pencil line.
13. Insert pillow form.