Buid: mini croquet mallet food labels
Summer is just around the corner and these food labels or table placecards would be perfect for a backyard BBQ or special event.
Inspired by Anthropologie’s garden markers I spotted in the May 2013 issue of Country Living magazine, surprisingly I was unable to find them at anthropologie.com (or anywhere online for that matter?) so I guess the best option is to make your own!
My version is more of a food label or table placecard but you could forgo the base and use them as garden markers too.
I used all scraps so this project cost me $0 but if you were to purchase the dowels, board and turf (doormat size) the cost would be about $15.
(The Anthropologie version is $8 each, for a total of $24, and that doesn’t include a turf covered stand.)
Here’s how to make the mini croquet mallet food labels:
1. Cut wood pieces:
3 – 1×4 @ 3.5″l
3 – 3/8″ dowel @ 7″l
3 – 1 1/8″ dowel @ 4 1/2″l
2. Predrill a countersink hole in the center of the square base:
(This is for the screw to hold the skinny pole secure, it’s optional.)
3. Flip the base over and using a 3/8″ bit (to match the skinny dowel) drill ONLY part-way down into base:
4. Using the 3/8″ bit drill about 3/4″ deep into center of larger dowel:
5. Mask off 1″ of both ends using painters tape:
6. Paint center portion two coats chalkboard paint:
7. Once dry remove the tape and add stripes:
8. Stain skinny poles and ends of painted dowels using Minwax Early American:
9. Prepare turf base.
Cut turf pieces with 1″ excess on all sides:
10. Hot glue turf to base, fold opposite sides down, clip corners and trim edges then fold other set of opposite sides, clip corners and edges:
11. Predrill hole into center of skinny pole (if using screw for security – optional).
Poke hole through turf into predrilled hole at center.
Apply wood glue into hole and firmly shove skinny pole into hole, give a tap with a hammer.
12. If desired screw the skinny pole in place using #8 – 1 1/2″ wood screw – optional.
13. Add top larger dowel.
Again place wood glue down into predrilled hole, firmly place dowel onto skinny pole and push into place, use a hammer to get a good snug fit.
Use a chalk pen to write your words.