How to combine Ikea kitchen cabinets with a custom made base support, bench top and wall cabinet modifications to make playroom storage built ins.
and wall cabinets for vertical storage which accommodate the window opening:
On the left side is one 36″ two-door cabinet and on the right is one 18″ one-door cabinet:
(I readied all pieces before transporting to a friend’s house for installation.)
1. Purchase Ikea kitchen cabinet units to fit your space.
* Don’t forget to add door dampers, they DO NOT come as part of the door hinge hardware and for $5 per pair they are well worth the investment.*
2. Assemble base units (3 top cabinets to refrigerator – 30″w x 24″d x 15″h) and clamp together.
* DO NOT attach back panel at this point.*
Build base support on top of units (top is same as bottom). I used 2x4s and primed 1x4s for toe kick.
The final depth of the base support is 23.5″ and the width is 1/2″ shorter on both ends.
* Be sure to predrill pocket holes now to attach support to base units later.
Paint visible toe kick Benjamin Moore satin impervo Simply White.
3. Cut 3/4″ Purebond birch plywood for bench top.
I cut mine at 91″l x 25.5″w, prime and paint visible side.
4. Assemble wall units.
Cut 3/4″ ply to fit exactly under each cabinet, this is necessary for door clearance.
Cut 3/4″ ply finished tops, mine overhang 3/4″ in front and 1/2″ on each side.
5. Attach top piece to wall unit with glue and screws, make note of cab hardware location (marked with arrows):
Clamp, predrill and countersink 1 1/4″ #8 screws to secure top piece to wall cabinet:
7. Putty screw heads, sand and apply painters tape to protect cabinet finish:
Paint two coats Benjamin Moore satin impervo Simply White.
8. Paint edges and attach ply pieces to bottom of wall units:
12. Attach doors and hardware.