A patchwork quilt for Ben:
Twin size to fit his big boy bed:
And personalized on the back side:
Inspired by this quilt from Pottery Barn:
I combined the two styles and used colors to match Ben’s bedroom:
Back when Ben was first born I had made a crib size quilt as a gift.
Ben’s Mommy sent me this picture of him sitting on it:
Fast forward two plus years later and now he’s ready for a big boy bed and a bigger quilt:
Here’s how I made the quilt:
1. Cut 7″ squares and layout:
2. Sew squares together:
3. Prepare the backing monogram.
Print out letter to size.
Apply double sided fusible to fabric.
4. Place letter backwards on light box then place fabric face down on light box and trace onto paper backing:
5. Cut out letter, place on backing and iron into place:
6. Zigzag stitch around edge:
7. Make quilt sandwich: backing, batting and top:
8. Using safety pins secure quilt sandwich every 8″ or so.
Then quilt on the diagonal.
9. Trim edges and add binding:
10. Press binding over quilt edge and fold in raw edge, then straight stitch in the gutter from the top:
11. Wash and dry and it’s ready.
Enjoy your new quilt Ben
Use it often (and wash it too!) because, as with everything, it only gets better with age.