Paint: Handpainted chalkboard ornaments
The chalkboard craze is still going strong so for Christmas I made chalkboard ornaments with handpainted seasonal phrases:
Hung with a bit of jute rope:
All wrapped up and ready to give:
In lieu of chalk I opted for a more permanent solution using white acrylic paint.
A little patience, a steady hand and some really fun fonts and you can make these:
(For lots of free fonts use dafont.com)
They look so good as a collection too!
Here’s how I made the chalkboard ornaments:
1. Cut 1/4″ plywood into 3 1/2″ x 4 1/2″ pieces.
Apply blue painters tape around edges covering up 1/4″:
2. Paint two coats black chalkboard paint:
3. Remove blue tape and apply red acrylic around border:
4. Make the dot border detail with white acrylic and the end of a paint brush:
5. Print out the phrases using all different fonts in sizes to fit the boards:
6. Line up the print out on top of the chalkboard and trace letters with ballpoint pen.
The pressure of the pen will make an indent in the plywood:
7. Paint on and inside the indent left behind by the pen:
8. Seal the painted surface with Minwax poly clear semi-gloss:
9. Predrill holes in both upper corners for jute.
Thread jute from back and tie knot then repeat for other corner:
10. For the wrapping I used cello bags and these cute free Christmas tags:
I’m linking up to:
Christmas Crafts @ Shanty 2 Chic
Christmas Craft Party @ Nesting Place
SAS @ Funky Junk
Nifty Thrifty Sunday @ Nifty Thrifty Things
DIY Project Parade @ The DIY Showoff
Tutorials & Tips Tuesday @ Home Stories A to Z
Strut Your Stuff @ Somewhat Simple
Share Awesomeness Thur @ The 36th Avenue
Pretty Things Thursday @ Scissors & Spatulas
Flaunt it Friday @ Chic on a Shoestring
Frugal Friday @ The Shabby Nest
SAS @ Just a Girl
Remodelaholics Anonymous @ Remodelaholic