How to build cubbies and a bench inside a mudroom closet.
A mudroom closet makeover for a friend:
Aside from purging a lot of unused items which really helps in a makeover, I built custom size shoe cubbies for a more organized space.
Before she had a flimsy hanging shoe organizer:
And now 12 solid wood shoe cubbies, designated space that will hold daddy’s big shoes with ease:
Down below she wanted a bench and we designed a shoe shelf with basket/boot space below:
Here’s the space before:
There’s room enough for two pairs of shoes front and back.
Overall a nice makeover that improved the functionality of the mudroom closet:
Here’s a few in progress build shots of the shoe cubbies and bench:
1. Measure space and sketch up plans.
2. For the shoe cubbies attach one side of shelves using pocket hole screws:
3. Then attach the other side, preferably the wall side, by counter sinking your screws:
4. All built:
5. Prime with Zinsser cover stain, paint two coats high gloss enamel white.
Install bench, then shoe cubbies, then top shelf:
6. And finally add the hanging rod and hooks.