A handpainted sign: Little Elk Ranch
or more affectionately referred to as ‘horse camp’.
I made this sign for my sister, a gift for Christmas.
We have fond memories of Little Elk Ranch (horse camp) made during our summers as young girls, sadly I don’t think the camp is still around.
This sign not only fills the space on the wall in my sister’s Family Room, it serves as a little reminder of those fond days gone by.
Here’s how I made the sign:
1. Sand wood piece:
2. Paint two coats Behr cozy cottage.
Print out lettering to fit space, using a ballpoint pen trace letters to leave indent in wood:
3. Paint on and inside the indent, first coat dark red:
4. Paint second layer – brown:
5. Repeat process for bottom row of lettering:
6. Paint first layer brown, second layer black:
7. Use the same process for the stars:
8. Paint stars brown:
9. Paint on rope design lightly at first:
10. Then start filling in basic rope color and use darker brown to highlight twisting motion:
11. Ready to be sanded:
12. After sanding to distress, use black to highlight lettering:
13. Stain using Minwax Early American then seal with clear satin poly:
A fun keepsake and perfect decor for her wall.
I’m linking up to:
Whatcha Got Weekend @ Lolly Jane
SAS @ Funky Junk
Weekend Wrap Up @ Tatertots & Jello
Sundae Scoop @ I Heart Naptime
Sister Sunday @ Sisters of the Wild West
Sunday Showcase Party @ Under the Table & Dreaming
Just Something I Whipped Up @ The Girl Creative
DIY Project Parade @ The DIY Showoff
Made by You Mondays @ Skip to My Lou
Making the World Cuter @ Making the World Cuter
Nifty Thrifty @ Coastal Charm
Tuesday Treasures @ My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia
Tutorials & Tips Tuesday @ Home Stories A to Z
Good Life @ A Beach Cottage
Delightfully Inspiring @ Delightful Order
Transformation Thursday @ The Shabby Creek Cottage
Strut Your Stuff @ Somewhat Simple
Share Awesomeness Thur @ The 36th Avenue
Flaunt it Friday @ Chic on a Shoestring
Tickled Pink @ 504 Main
Frugal Friday @ The Shabby Nest
SAS @ Just a Girl
Feathered Nest @ French Country Cottage
Remodelaholics Anonymous @ Remodelaholic
inspiration board @ Carolyns Homework