If you like no rules and funky designs then painting a sugar skull backdrop should be on your project list. This sugar skull backdrop is a great statement piece for any Halloween party.
Below I’ll share how I painted this large sugar skull backdrop for our recent back to school party.
* This post contains affiliate links below, by clicking on an affiliate link and making a purchase I may receive a tiny commission. This small commission helps me keep this site full of free content so I thank you for your support. *
- 1/2″ plywood (30″ x 40″ or desired size)
- matte white & black paint
- paint brushes (various sizes)
- multiple colors acrylic paint (I recommend DecoArt Americana Gloss Enamels)
Step 1: Cut plywood to desired size and sand edges. Paint the basic skull shape using matte white, two coats will be necessary.
Step 2: Paint the background matte black, now’s your chance to make crisp edges for the skull and really perfect the shape.
Step 3: Use a pencil to sketch in the eye sockets, nose, teeth, jaw line and basic decorative elements. Use black paint for the eye sockets, nose and outline the teeth then start on the decorations with bright colored paints.
Step 4: Continue to add colorful decorative elements. Keep things symmetrical when appropriate and use lots of colors. Once completed outline every element using the same black paint.
Attach a wire hanger to the back and enjoy.