How I built basic cubby style shelves with a long counter on top to fit the space in this family’s eating area for a perfect diy homework counter.
It’s counter height at 37″ to accommodate the stools and has tons of great surface area for homework and papers:
The space started empty at 6′ long x 18″ deep and I built the unit in 3 pieces to fit the dimensions:
How to build a homework counter:
1. Start with the cubby shelf carcass:
2. Add 1×2 trim for a finished look.
3. For the counter top I added a 1×2 at the front edge:
(the counter is upside down in this picture)
4. Fill all nail holes, sand and check for fit:
5. Prime Zinsser cover stain and two coats high gloss white enamel.