Sew: rugby stripe personalized zipper pouch
Just in time for back to school! Handpaint any name with acrylic paints onto fun solid cotton fabrics and then make a drop cloth zipper pencil pouch:
The personalization possibilities are endless, I used American Typewriter font at 175 point.
All you need is a lightbox and a steady hand to create this look:
The finished size of these pouches is 10″l x 6″h x 1.5″wide at base:
The interior lining matches the rugby stripe band on the exterior.
And the metal zippers are from my friend Jennie at ZipIt.
How to make the rugby stripe personalized zipper pouch:
1 – 11″ x 14″ drop cloth (exterior)
1 – 11″ x 14″ fusible interfacing
1 – 11″ x 14″ cotton (lining)
2 – 3″ x 11″ cotton (stripe bands)
1 – 11″ zipper (I used 14″ a cut off the excess)
2. Begin by printing the name to size.
I used American Typewriter font at 175 point:
3. Fold the 3″ stripe band in half and the printed name in half to find the middle point:
4. Line up the middle folds and pin fabric on top of printed name:
5. Using a lightbox and acrylic paint, paint inside the lines of the shadow:
6. Press under 1/4″ raw edge on both top and bottom of stripe:
7. Pin in place on drop cloth exterior piece (2″ from top edges):
Then top stitch in place:
8. To add zipper place zipper face down at top edge then interior lining:
9. Sew in place with zipper foot then flip lining over and top stitch down:
10. Repeat for other end of drop cloth exterior, zipper and lining:
11. Now line up exterior and interior lining, be sure to line up stripe band portion at sides:
12. Sew side seams, leave one 4″ opening in lining and miter corners:
3. Clip corners and turn right side out through opening, top stitch opening closed.
Push lining down into pouch and press.
I’m linking up to:
SAS @ Funky Junk
Nifty Thrifty Sunday @ Nifty Thrifty Things
That DIY Party @ The DIY Showoff
Tutorials & Tips Tuesday @ Home Stories A to Z
The Scoop @ Lolly Jane
Strut Your Stuff @ Somewhat Simple
Transformation Thursday @ The Shabby Creek Cottage
Share Awesomeness Thur @ The 36th Avenue
Pretty Things Thursday @ Scissors & Spatulas
Flaunt it Friday @ Chic on a Shoestring
Frugal Friday @ The Shabby Nest
Furniture Feature Friday @ Miss Mustard Seed
SAS @ Just a Girl
Remodelaholics Anonymous @ Remodelaholic
inspiration board @ Carolyns Homework