Build: tabletop chalkboard easel
I modified plans from Ana White here to make portable tabletop size chalkboard easels.
This smaller version of the original has a 13″ x 13″ chalk space:
Versus the original folding chalkboard easel with an 18″ x 18″ chalk space:
This smaller size is just the right for kids sitting at the table:
Or playing school with an American Girl doll:
An of course it folds and is easily portable just like the original:
Don’t forget to make the zippered chalk pouch to store all those pieces of chalk:
Here’s how to build the tabletop chalkboard easel:
1. Use Ana’s plans as a guide and modify the cut list:
2 – 1×2 @ 13″
2 – 1×3 @ 13″
4 – 1×2 @ 19″
2 – 1×2 @14 1/2″
2 – 1/8″ hardboard @ 16″ x 17″
2. Paint hardboard with black chalkboard paint:
3. Build frames using pocket holes on backside:
4. Attach chalk ledge with countersunk 2″ #8 wood screw from the back.
Glue and clamp in place then attach screw:
5. Paint frames two coats (or stain) and seal with clear satin poly:
6. Attach hardboard by placing frame facedown, chalk ledge flush up against edge of table:
7. Drill holes for rope:
8. Attach hinges, rope and handle.