Sew: diy ipad case with cross stitch monogram
Make your own ipad case using corduroy and gingham fabric then add a beautiful cross stitch monogram.
I made two versions, one using drop cloth with a painted monogram (I’ll share the details on that another day) and the corduroy version:
The cross stitch monogram detail is very easy hand stitching that adds the perfect touch of personalization:
I love the contrast of the worn corduroy (I used an old pair of pants) and the timeless cross stitch versus the sleek metallic of the ipad.
And you can bet no one else will have this case!
How to make a ipad case with a cross stitch monogram:
** All dimensions are for an ipad air at 6 5/8″w x 9 1/2″l.
1. Cut fabric pieces:
exterior: 23″ x 9″ (brown corduroy)
lining: 23″ x 9″ (gingham)
ultra firm interfacing (Peltax 72F): 2 @ 7 1/2″ x 10 1 /2″
batting: 21″ x 7 1/2″
2. To make the cross stitch monogram print out the desired letters using Home Sweet Home font and determine the position on the exterior fabric:
3. Pin the paper in position to the exterior fabric, thread your needle with 6 strands of embroidery floss:
4. Sew the cross stitches through the paper.
Be consistent with the crosses always going in the same direction.
5. GENTLY tear away the paper:
(Use the point of your needle to ease the paper out from under the stitches.)
6. To sew the case place the batting on the wrong side of the exterior fabric and press in 1″ around all four sides, pin the raw edges to keep in place.
Do the same for the firm interfacing and the gingham lining:
7. Now’s a good time to check the ipad for fit.
You want about 3/4″ on both sides and 1″ at the open end:
8. Place the lining directly on top of the exterior and top stitch both short ends:
9. Then fold the long rectangle in half and sew up both sides, top stitch 1/4″ from outer edge:
Slide in your ipad and it’s ready!
I’m linking up to:
Nifty Thrifty Sunday @ Nifty Thrifty Things
That DIY Party @ The DIY Showoff
Tutorials & Tips Tuesday @ Home Stories A to Z
The Scoop @ Lolly Jane
Strut Your Stuff @ Somewhat Simple
Share Awesomeness Thur @ The 36th Avenue
Pretty Things Thursday @ Scissors & Spatulas
Flaunt it Friday @ Chic on a Shoestring
Frugal Friday @ The Shabby Nest
Furniture Feature Friday @ Miss Mustard Seed
SAS @ Just a Girl
Remodelaholics Anonymous @ Remodelaholic
inspiration board @ Carolyns Homework