Build: diy craft island
I built this craft island for a friend.
This craft island resides in her new home in the basement (which explains the overhead lighting as there are very few small windows).
Inspired by this Houzz find:
This diy version is the perfect designated craft space for her four kids.
The top measures 56″ x 56″:
One drawer in each tower with 2 open shelves:
How to build a craft island:
1. Determine leg height and drill pocket holes in one side of one end:
2. Prepare shelf.
3/4″ plywood middle, 2×2 on two sides, 1×2 on opposite sides.
This is the underside view with all the pocket holes drilled:
Trim pieces attached:
3. Attach legs to 3/4″ ply base with 1×2 trim in between legs.
Top view of shelf:
4. Prepare drawer space with 3/4″ ply on 3 sides and 1×2 trim for drawer opening:
5. Attach drawer glide cleats on both sides of interior:
6. Attach drawer glides:
7. Construct drawers from 1×5 boards:
8. Attach 1/4″ ply base and glides:
9. Attach 1×8 drawer front and faux drawer front to right side:
Prime with Zinsser oil based primer.
Paint two coats white high gloss enamel.
Start with 2×4 braces between the towers:
12. Add 1×3 trim flush to front of towers:
13. The top surface is 2 pieces of 3/4″ plywood on top of 1/2″ plywood pieces then trimmed out with 1×2:
Add drawer hardware.