Don’t let that space under the bed go unused! Maximize the functionality of all that square footage and make easily accessible underbed storage bins on wheels. I’m sharing quick, simple and easy free plans down below.
A DIY tutorial to build storage bins to fit under the bed. Make that underbed space 100% functional with storage bins on wheels.
My girls recently bunked their beds but whether your beds are bunked or not truly doesn’t matter because there will almost always be unused space under the bed. That dark underbed space where the monsters live is prime real estate for some serious storage!
- makes use of unused space
- storage clothing, shoes, accessories, toys
- easy for kids to use
These storage bins are made from 1/2″ plywood painted white with wheels attached. They are very basic and simple but help to keep all the things exactly where they are accessible and organized. In hindsight I probably should have added a hardware pull. Maybe a handle or cut out finger hole would be great but they are easy enough to grab and pull out just as boxes.
Consider Your Underbed Space:
- First I measured the length of the unused empty space then subtract 10″ or so for ample spacing between bins. These bins are each 21″ wide and there’s plenty of room for movement.
- Next measure the depth, my bins are 40″ deep and still hide just enough under the bed.
- Lastly measure the height. For the height you want to take into consideration your wheel height and leaving a bit of open space at top to grab the bin (or less if you’re going with hardware pulls). My bins are 7″ tall which is plenty. I’m a firm believer that kids do better with shallow drawers and bins. If you make the bins too deep all the clothes get piled and lost and nobody can find anything.
- 2 – ½” plywood @ 7” x 39” (long sides)
- 2 – ½” plywood @ 7” x 21” (short sides)
- 1 – ½” plywood @ 21” x 40” (bottom)
Thanks for joining me for this underbed storage bins project. Please leave any questions in the comments below and be sure to follow me on social media for sneak peeks, tools and project inspiration:
SHOP THIS PROJECT: