Paint: diy arrow signs
Make your own arrow signs using wood scraps and paint.
No fancy vinyl cutting machine.
These signs happen to be part of the decor for a fund raising event at my kid’s school, the theme is ‘surf’s up’ so we’re doing vintage beach and surf related decor.
You can use any font, I choose King Lava in keeping with the theme of the party.
How to make arrow signs:
1. Cut 1/2″ plywood to size (my arrows measure 5 1/2″w x 20-24″l).
2. Print lettering. I used King Luau font here at 250 point.
Line up lettering on plywood and trace outline using a ballpoint pen. Use heavy pressure to leave an indent in the wood.
3. Paint on and inside the indent using white for the letters (use acrylic craft paint) then go around the letters and paint background color:
4. Add a thin stripe of white around edge of colored background:
5. Apply stain (I used Minwax golden oak):
6. Seal with clear gloss spray poly:
7. Secure to 2×2 furring strip post with glue and finish nails:
8. I decided the lettering needed more definition, using dark brown paint highlight each letter to the right and down: (Consider doing this step before applying the poly seal.)
I’m linking up to:
Nifty Thrity Sunday @ Nifty Thrifty Things
Inspiration Exchange @ City Farmhouse
SAS @ Funky Junk
That DIY Party @ The DIY Showoff
Tutorials & Tips Tuesday @ Home Stories A to Z
Share Awesomeness Thur @ The 36th Avenue
Pretty Things Thursday @ Scissors & Spatulas
Flaunt it Friday @ Chic on a Shoestring
Frugal Friday @ The Shabby Nest
Furniture Feature Friday @ Miss Mustard Seed
SAS @ Just a Girl
Remodelaholics Anonymous @ Remodelaholic
inspiration board @ Carolyns Homework
Inspire Me Heather says
Super cute signs! No stencils?? Wow, you do nice lettering!
Our Pinteresting Family says
You did a great job. It looks fantastic. Thanks for sharing this tip on how to create these.
Crystelle Boutique says
SUCH cute signs! I just totally love those arrow tree posts thingies…. have been wanting to make one for a long time now. You beat me to it! Looking good, Jaime!!!
TGIF !! 🙂
Kimberly from 'bugaboo' says
how cute! I'm a long time follower, but rarely post comments. Just wanted to let you know how often I've loved and pinned your creations!
bugaboo, mini, mr & me
Schulz Family says
that is very cool. Good Idea for a birthday party